Saturday, February 2, 2008

What I've been reading lately


Well, these are the kinds of "books" (now in electronic form) I spend much of my time reading. But every now and then, I put them aside. Lately I've found the following of interest:

USING A PICTURE: WITTGENSTEIN AND BYZANTINE ICONOGRAPHY
by Latzer, Michael, Encounter, Summer 2005

God Is in the Dendrites: Can "neurotheology" bridge the gap between religion and science?
By George Johnson, Slate, April 26, 2007

The Edge Annual Question — 2008
WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND ABOUT? WHY?

Ren on "Neoconservatives, Past, Present and Future"

And for viewing, the BBC Documentary, "The Power of Nightmares"

The Power of Nightmares Part 1: Baby it's Cold Outside

Part II: The Phantom Victory

Part III: The Shadows in the Cave

UPDATE:

Quote of the day, thanks to Reverend Boy, from Phyllis Tickle:
“Christian nation” is such an offensive term that I can hardly speak it, even. One of the biggest blows to Christianity’s vitality and legitimacy occurred on the day that Constantine made it the official religion of the Empire. Nobody in his or her right mind would want to be a member of a socially acceptable religion. It’s very dangerous for the soul. A nation is in the business of doing Caesar’s work, not God’s.
(my bolding).

No comments: