Monday, February 11, 2008

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to ....




None other than Clumber!



No, this is not him. (You knew that, didn't you? Though the hair does appear to be blonde and fluffy)


This is Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff, the first recipient, whom I am featuring in honor of our dear Clumber. He apparently discovered something along the lines of:
Osmotic pressure is the hydrostatic pressure produced by a solution in a space divided by a semipermeable membrane due to a differential in the concentrations of solute. Osmoregulation is the homeostasis mechanism of an organism to reach balance in osmotic pressure.
I don't understand a word of it but I guess it has something to do with this:
which strikes me as something that happens when one spends too much time experimenting with the reactive characteristics of the Anglican elements, which Clumber has so brilliantly defined.

Congratulations Clumber!

(BTW, the check is in the mail).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeepers, finally a bunch of big words that make perfect sense to me and that you find opaque! This might be a first! But I think that Tobias just might be way more deserving of the Anglican Nobel... he memorized the whole freaking periodic table by making up some long Polish-sounding word! I just stumbled into the exercise of elucidating the elements in the table. I think I'm going to work on Kladium tonight, which has the distinct advantage that it really truly sounds like an element!

klady said...

I don't even want to talk about my high school chemistry course. Whatever talent I had in math and logic somehow failed me in chemistry.

Yes, I suppose Tobias should get at least an honorable mention and David Charles Walker credit for the Nobel Prize idea. Kudos to them, as well.